Linksys provides one of the best networking hardware products to the users. They provide a vast variety of routers and accessories such as range extenders, adaptors and more. The Linksys routers need to be logged in before the user can go on to personalize their network and configure it. The login process is a very simple process and usually takes only a couple of minutes. The user can simple go to any internet browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com (linksys smart wi-fi login) in the address bar. The user will then be taken straightaway to the login page of the router where the user can enter the default information regarding the router and login to the router. The default username and password for most of the Linksys routers is “admin” for both the cases. Only after logging in can the user gain access to the advanced features of the router such as the Guest Network, Parental Controls, to change the username and password, to update the firmware on their router and much more.
What is www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
The web domain www.linksyssmartwifi.com is the web domain name used by Linksys routers to login to the routers. The users can also login using their default IP addresses specific to their routers but most users do not know how or where to find the default IP address for their routers. Linksys came up with a solution for this problem. Linksys routers now come preconfigured to use www.linksyssmartwifi.com instead of the default IP addresses. The router recognizes the web domain name and translates it to the default IP address specific to the router and reroutes the user directly to the login page of the router. This way, the login process is made easier for the user to login to their router.
Starting with your Linksys router or linksys smart wi-fi login
The Linksys routers need to be setup and logged in in order for the user to gain access to the advanced features of the router. This way, the user can customize their network suitable to their needs, configure their router, monitor their network and even repair it.
Here, we will show you how to setup and login to the Linksys routers, to reset the router and to change the username and password for the Linksys router.
How to setup and login to the Linksys router
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the modem to the WAN port of the router. Make sure that the connections are made properly.
- Now, connect the computer to any of the internet ports of the router using another Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are tight on both ends.
3. Using the same computer, open any internet browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Press enter.
4. You will be prompted to type in the default username and password for the router. The default username and password is “admin” for both the cases. The username and password are both case sensitive. If the default information fails, you can try to login using any previously set username and passwords. If all else fails, the router needs to be reset in order to restore the router back to its factory default settings.
5. After successfully logging in to the router, you will be taken to the Setup page. This is the web based interface of the router where the user can change the settings and customize their network suitable to their needs. The user will have setup and logged in to the Linksys router now. From here, the user can configure their network as they desire by following the on screen instructions provided in the web based interface for Linksys routers.
How to Reset the Linksys router
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router. It might be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Default Settings.
- Using a paperclip or something similar, press and hold the Reset button at the back of the router,
- After holding the Reset button for ten seconds, release the Reset button. You will see that the LED lights have started blinking. When the power light becomes stable, the router will have been reset.
Warning: Do not interrupt the reset process anyhow as it may corrupt the firmware of the router and even render the router useless. After the router has been restored back to its factory default settings, the user can start using the router and login to the router using the default information of the router.
How to change the username and password for Linksys router
It is advised that the user changes the username and password for their Linksys router so that nobody can connect to their network without their permission. Here are the steps required to change the username and password:
- Login to the Linksys router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of an internet browser to access the web based setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Management section under it.
- Here, you will see the Router username and Router password.
- Set up a new username and password for your Linksys router.
- Click Save Settings.
How to update the firmware on the Linksys router
The firmware update is a very important process for the router. All the sensitive information such as the banking information of the user when they buy something online, their emails and passwords, their private information and more of the user passes through the router. So in order to protect the router from any potential threats, the firmware needs to be updated. The firmware update also fixes any bugs or previously faced issues within the router, might add overall speed boosts and even some new features to the router. The up to date firmware also makes sure that the router is able to connect to the latest media technology that is coming out almost every other day. This way, every time the user goes to buy a new media device, they don’t have to go around buying new routers compatible with the media devices. Here are the steps to update the firmware:
- Go to the Linksys Support Site and download the latest firmware for your router.
- Open any internet browser on the device that is connected to the router. Type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar and press enter.
- You will be taken to the login page of the router. You will be prompted to type in the default username and password for the router.
- The default username and password is “admin” for most of the Linksys routers. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- You will see the Administration tab. Click on it. Then click on Firmware Update option.
- Click Browse to search for the previously downloaded file.
- Locate and select the file from your computer. Click Open.
- Click the Start Update option to begin the update process.
- After the update is successful, click Continue.
- Reboot the router to save the changes made on the router.
Warning: It is advised not to interrupt the process of the firmware update as it can corrupt the router and even render it useless.
After the update process is complete, the user can start using their internet as they please.
Now, you can connect to your Linksys router with any device using the new username and password.